Download my CV Despina_Biri_CV_Shorthere, or click on the relevant section below.
Translator and proofreader, National Hellenic Research Foundation, September 2016 – Present
Translating and proofreading English-language texts for NHRF projects, including funding applications.
Editor and Translator, Department of Political Science and History, Panteion University, September 2016 – Present
Preparing academic articles for funding applications, journal publications, and conference presentations.
Copywriter and Translator, 4Share.gr, October 2016 – Present
Writing and translating copy for clients in academia, health care, and events services.
Web Content Editor, Hellenic League for Human Rights, December 2016- July 2017
– Curated and published content on human rights, working with a team of legal experts.
– 25% increase in site visits during the first four months.
– Formulated and applied editorial guidelines to maximize content exposure.
– Translated copy, wrote and sent press releases, outreach emails, blog posts, report summaries, and project updates.
– Collaborated with web developers and social media managers to reinforce website messaging and usability.
Copy editor and translator, Delphi for European Capital of Culture, October 2015 – March 2016
Translated and edited all English-language print and web content for the candidacy of the Municipality of Delphi for European Capital of Culture 2021.
Research Assistant to Professor Heath Cabot, University of Pittsburgh, March 2015 – Present
Stakeholder and user engagement advice for a project on the patient experience in Athens, Greece.
Advisor (contractor), World Health Organization (WHO), March 2015 – May 2016
– Created a health care card for refugees arriving to Greece. Adapted a prototype, tested with users, and worked with a translator and a graphic designer to finalize the design.
– Created and distributed a how-to guide for patient and public involvement in health care policy.
– Assisted with the development of a plan for the reform of the Greek health care system. Updated and disseminated action points following meetings.
– Mapped stakeholders in electronic and mobile health applications (eHealth and mHealth). Arranged meetings and made recommendations for the roll-out of an Electronic Health Record.
– Researched HTA organizations in Europe, and identified the necessary legal framework for setting up an HTA body in Greece.
– Co-organized a stakeholder event to present the new Primary Health Care network. Compiled the list of participants, sent invitations and arranged press coverage.
Research Assistant (fixed-term contract), University College London (UCL), June 2014 – March 2015
Project title: The impact of UCL BEAMS research on public policy
– Interviewed 45 users, reviewed literature, and analyzed case study texts.
– Created a report of the analysis, available here.
– Disseminated materials via social media and targeted emails to enhance engagement with the project and maximize uptake from target audiences.
Research Assistant (fixed-term contract, renewed twice), University College London (UCL) & Cancer Research UK, July 2012 – June 2014
– Searched for and collected research papers, and extracted information on their contents.
– Co-wrote a text on the ethical implications of early publication of clinical trial results.
– A paper on the study is accessible here (paywall).
Research Assistant, King’s College London, September 2010 – October 2011
Project title: The link between Patient and Public Involvement (PPI) and Public Engagement in Science (PES)
– Identified key literature to define and map concepts.
– Administered a survey questionnaire, distributed to research centers across the UK.
– Interviewed 19 researchers from King’s College London. Used card sorting to define overlaps in PPI and PES practices.
– Co-organized a workshop to present findings and gather feedback. Presented results from interviews.
– Results were published as a research paper, accessible here.
– Mapped all researchers at King’s using participatory methods, contributing to the creation of a peer network.
MBBS Medicine, St George’s, University of London, delivered by the University of Nicosia, 2018-2022
MA Philosophy, Politics, and Economics of Health, UCL, 2009-2010
MSc Biochemical Engineering, UCL, 2007-2008
BSc Molecular Biology, UCL, 2004-2007
English, Dutch , French, German, Greek.